Day 67: The End

                Today was the final day of the tour. I drove through the Mojave National Preserve on my way to my gig at the 29 Palms Inn. The drive through the Mojave is one of my absolute favorite drives on the planet. There are way more Joshua Trees out here than I have ever seen in the Joshua Tree National Park. This road is so remote you may not see another car for 30 minutes, which is an incredible thing anywhere in Southern California.
The gig at the 29 Palms Inn was really good. It was chill on a Tuesday night, but a nice, appreciate crowd in front of the pool after a hot day. Cool night in the desert. They gave me a room at the hotel and that felt really nice too.
I admit that I am looking forward to getting home to my apartment, where I have a real bed and I can stand up and move around. I have my own private bathroom! That is a luxurious thing after 67 days in a Toyota Prius. However, it is a bittersweet feeling. I am apprehensive about returning to civilized life. For some reason, my struggles with depression hit me harder when I am at home than when I am on the road. When I am on the road I don’t think I have time to think enough to get depressed. There is something about constantly moving from town to town that keeps my spirits up.
Putting these long tours together and playing all these shows is so much work. When it is all over I feel a bit somber, perhaps like a mother might feel who gets post partum depression… You put all this energy into creating something and it’s a bit sad to let it go when the time comes. I know I will have to deal with the “real world” again now and all the challenges that that comes with.
“This is the end. Of our elaborate plans, the end….it hurts to set you free….”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 60: Play on Songbird. Play on.

Day 65: A Walk Along the the Jordan River, Salt Lake City